This blanket. Oh this blanket… As much as I love how it will turn out, this blanket has been a pain (literally) to get done in time for my brother’s Birthday, which is Christmas day BTW. It’s a love hate relationship at this point, but with only 40 more squares to knock out and the border to finish I’m “Super” stoked. I know I’m so punny.
The story starts about two months ago, when one over excited and completely delusional Me decides that this blanket will be the BEST present in the entire world for my Older Brother, who is like a ten year old at heart at times. Not only is it a “throw” (I had to) back to us growing up, but it’s one of his favorite games… So skip a month ahead, just after Thanksgiving. I’ve found a pattern, and have modified it and have painstakingly started to make this blanket…
Needless to say I had to undo a row I messed up, and reattach! Steadily I worked on this blanket, a few squares a day. Here it is the on the 16th…
Monday is over, and here I have a zillion more squares to make so I kick it into over drive on THURSDAY the 19th… (I’m too much of a procrastinator for my own good sometimes.)
Now, FIVE DAYS before Christmas I have forty squares and the edging to go. Call me Crazy, but I may be able to finish it by Saturday… MAYBE.
Moral of the story? Don’t decide to do the impossible at last minute! 🙂 My new goal in all of this is to go ahead and make all sorts of squares so when I do find a to die for pattern it won’t take me forever and a day to finish. We’ll see if that ACTUALLY happens. Once the blanket is complete I will be adding the Instructable on the squares themselves. God Bless!
Here is the finished blanket! I finished it two days before Christmas and I’m so excited! My brother loved it!
Here is the pattern for the squares.
Yarn… I used Red Heart in Red (2), Navy (2), Green (1), Turquoa (I think that’s how you spell it…3), Peach (4) and Black( 2 or 3 I can’t remember…)
Size G Hook
dc, double crochet, ch, chain, slst, slip stitch, fpdc, front post double crochet
Round 1: ch5, sl stitch to 1st ch to form a ring.
R2: Ch 3 (counts as dc only on first ch 3 of each row now and throughout), 2dc,* ch3, 3dc*, repeat *twice, ch 3, join with sl st to top of beginning ch.
R3: Ch3, *dc in next 3 stitchs, 2dc in ch3 space, ch3, 2dc in ch3 space*, repeat *twice, dc in next 3 stitches, 2dc in ch3 space, ch3, 1dc in ch3 space, join with slst to top of beginning ch, slst across to next ch3 space.
R4: Ch3, 1dc in ch3 space,* ch3, 2dc in ch3 space, dc in next 3 stitches, fpdc in next, dc in next 3 stitches, 2dc in ch3 space*, repeat * twice, ch3, 2dc in ch3 space, dc in next 3 stitches, fpcd in next, dc in next 3 stitches, join with slst to top of beginning ch, slst in next space, DO NOT fasten off, leave about 12-14 inches for sewing.
The total count of squares ended up being 192, with 38 red, 42 peach, 32 black, 32 navy, 10 green and 38 turquoa. I altered between just making the squares and adding as I went throughout this project, but the end result was absolutely awesome. If you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask!